Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Quark Alliance don't mess around

Col. Bruce & The Quark Alliance played at Brothers Bar in Jacksonville last night and was much better than I had anticipated.

The Col. was a little more reserved (unlike many in the crowd) than previous times I've seen him ... but that was often a fleeting condition. Aside from him singing half the songs, he would frequently blaze throught solos with Southern rock irreverance that led to him playing behind his head at one point. Of course, I only heard about it. The moral here is to wait until the song is over before visiting the restroom.

Although I wasn't very familiar with some of the music, there were some nice rendetions of Aquarium Rescue Unit songs. "Working on a Building" really stood out. They also got the crowd going with an inspired version of "Turn on Your Lovelight," a song made famous by Bobby "Blue" Bland and The Grateful Dead.

I shot some video and will post a clip Monday. Now for some much needed rest.