Thursday, August 30, 2007

cover me

Every since I learned that somebody other than Motley Crue did "Smokin' in the Boys Room," I've had this weird love/hate relationship with established bands doing cover songs.

And now comes word that - joining the recent parade of cover albums (alongside Def Leppard, Poison, Tesla) is Queensryche ... the thinking man's metal band. According to www.sleazeroxx.com the band best known for educating a generation of fans on the meaning of "lucidity" are soon to be releasing an album covering the likes of U2's "Bullet the Blue Sky" and Peter Gaberial's "Red Rain."

This made me think about my off-the-top-of-my-head favorite cover songs - in no particular order:

Rage against the machine - Kick out the Jams
Cowboy Junkies - Sweet Jane
Bruce Springsteen - Jersey Girl
Rod Stewart - Tom Tolbert's Blues (Waltzing Matilda)
Johnny Cash/Joe Strummer - Redemption Song
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Ace Frehley - 2000 Man
Metallica - Am I Evil?
Counting Crows - Friend of the devil


www.sleazeroxx.com