Monday, September 24, 2007

Too lazy for Drivin' 'n' Cryin'

I left work Friday with the best intentions. It had been a while since I'd been to a rock show. I missed the blinding smoke, the stink of stale beer, the cigarette burn holes in my favorite T-shirt, drinks spilled on my shoes, and most of all the days of deafness that were sure to follow.

And that's the good stuff. Plus the music.

But something happened to me after dinner ... I fell asleep. With a beer in one hand and the TV remote in the other, I planned to "crash" for a couple hours before heading out for the Drivin' 'n' Cryin' concert up at Brothers.

I was really excited. Like I said, I'd been missing out on the Wild Side, since falling into the morass of domestic bliss. But when I woke up from my comfortable coma, all that motivation seemed to have drained from my body. I like like six miles from the bar where a band that I'd practically grown up listening to was playing. What were the odds?

Actually, pretty good considering D 'n' C hadn't had a hit since grunge came and went.

But still ... I'm only 33 years old. I like my music loud. I'm not too old. I'm just not.

Course, it's hard to rock 'n' roll all night when you can't stay up past 10:30 ... on the weekends. So Drivin' 'n' Cryin' took that familiar road "Straight to Hell" without me singin' along. Just the thought of pushing my way through a throng of rowdy college kids made me itch.

So instead, I enjoyed another frosty adult beverage, listened to "Honeysuckle Blue" at a volume certain not to disturb the neighbors and reflected on a life's worth of concerts past.

Wedded bliss might make me boring, but at least now I can afford good beer.