Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Appetite turns 20


Wanna feel old?

Saul Hudson -- Slash -- is 42.

Appetite for Destruction came out 20 years ago. Twenty *&%^% years ago.

Anyway, here's what ol' Slash, now the guitar guy in Velvet Revolver, said about all this:

(By the way, thanks to the folks at McClatchy News Services for sending this in.)
On the 20-year anniversary of “Appetite for Destruction,” which was in July: “Everybody made a bigger deal about it than, obviously, I would have. It’s cool. You can’t complain about being recognized. It’s an accomplishment, having done something 20 years ago that’s still significant now. That’s really great. All the fanfare that went along with it — I was actually surprised at the amount of it.
“But as far as celebrating, the actual physical date that it happened, the anniversary, I wasn’t that cognizant of it. I think everybody else was and that me made aware of it.”
On how he looks back at the Guns N’ Roses era: “The Guns thing was awesome. I was 19 when that band started, and I owe everything in my career to that band.
“It was one of the coolest things going and still, looking back on it, it was one of the coolest things there has been.
“I’ve moved on, concentrating on what there is in the now, but at the same time, I’m very proud for having been part of that.”