Wednesday, December 19, 2007

VH1 Classic's rock series is the bomb


I gotta admit I'm about hooked on VH1 Classic's series, the Seven Ages of Rock, that's dominating my evenings this week. And here's why:

Normally, these music history series on cable TV are nothing more than boilerplate mantra, stuff everyone knows. The Stones liked the blues, so did Clapton, Hendrix was influential, punks were mad at the world, disco was fueled by drug use, Birmingham, England, spawned all good heavy metal, etc., etc., etc.

Tell me something I don't know.

Well, this series is. Last night's episode on "art rock" was great. It featured Pink Floyd -- real Floyd, with Syd Barrett in all of his LSD-enduced greatness -- and the Velvet Underground of Lou Reed. There also was David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust, Bryan Ferry (did I spell that right?) and Roxy Music. You get the drift ...

I highly recommend checking this show out. Tonight's episode is on punk rock, so everyone channel the Sex Pistols, get real mad at the world and tune in.

Click here to see what it's all about.