Monday, February 4, 2008

'Never heard of him ...'


Sure, you can say this about the NFL: The league's decision to play it safe with the Super Bowl halftime show in wake of Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction a few years ago has its detractors. Instead of being cutting edge and getting the latest pop, R&B or hip-hop act, it's shying away from anything or anyone that might lead to trouble with the FCC -- or anyone else.

So this year it was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers -- a good band with good songs, but hardly cutting edge or controversial in 2008.

For the record, I like Tom Petty's music. I remember as a kid having a 78 of "Renegade" and playing it over and over and over in my bedroom. Tom's 57 now, and looks it, but he still records decent music and still sells lots of tickets. (Though I do have to wonder how many people under the age of 30 turned off the halftime show because it was too "boring" for them. And remember, Alicia Keys played the pregame show. Was it a mistake not to have her in primetime?)

Anyway, last night I was watching the Super Bowl at a friend's house, and his teenage son asked who was playing the halftime show. "Tom Petty," someone said.

His response:

"Never heard of him ..."

I rolled my eyes, kept my mouth shut, and enjoyed Tom's four-song set.

I guess I'm getting old.