Thursday, January 24, 2008

Freedom from Kidz Bop

We've established a daily afternoon ritual, and the hard-core rock fans on here will have to forgive me. Snicker at will, I suppose.

My boy and girl are in love with those obnoxious Kidz Bop compilations. They take a hit -- in the generic sense -- song and remix it layered with a chorus of children's backgrounds. My 8-year-old, who can't remember whether a basketball game HE'S BEEN WATCHING has started or not, has these things memorized by the track number.

Even creepier is watching the 5-year-old girl belt out her Fergie imitation for Glamorous: "If you ain't got no money, take your broke self home."

Oy. How I suffer. Apparently the lineup of artists on this CD (the real ones, not the kids) are really hip, unless of course I'm dating my 37-year-old non-broke self by saying "hip"? There's Avril Lavigne, something called Timbaland and Ludacris.

Who knew?